June 24, 2018
Are you ready to join more than 500,000 people this year who will be replacing their missing teeth with dental implants? That is great! You are making a wise choice for your quality of life and your oral health. To complete your smile, your treatment process will involve different procedures. Depending on your exact treatment plan, the types needed for your dental implants in Bullard will vary.
Types of Implants
The foundation for your replacement teeth involves surgically placing dental implant posts. Although you may think that they are all the same, there are two different types that may be used.
- Endosteal: This is the most common type of post used. It is surgically placed into the jawbone to replace the root of a tooth. It is shaped like a screw and made from titanium to allow the body to naturally fuse to it.
- Subperiosteal: Unlike traditional implant posts, these are not inserted into the jawbone. Instead, they are placed in between the jawbone and the gum tissue. Often, they are recommended for patients who do not have enough bone density to support endosteal posts.
Prior to the placement of your implants, your dentist in Bullard may recommend that you undergo additional procedures to promote the long-term success of your treatment. The types of procedures needed will be based on your individual needs. They may include:
- Bone Augmentation: Also known as bone grafting, it involves restoring the density of your jawbone when there is not enough remaining to support the posts. Bone additives and growth factors will help to fortify the bone to produce the best results.
- Sinus Lift: Sometimes called a sinus augmentation or sinus elevation, the procedure involves increasing the amount of bone below the sinus. When the bone in the area has deteriorated from missing upper teeth in the back, the procedure will be needed prior to placing your posts.
- Ridge Expansion: In some cases, your jaw may not be wide enough to allow the posts to be placed successfully. Using a bone grafting material, the ridge will be made wider to support the posts.
Invest in Your Smile Today
Do not let the thought of surgical procedures deter you from replacing your missing teeth. With dental implants, you will make a true investment in your smile with an option that offers over a 95% success rate. After your surgical procedures, you will enjoy a solution that has the potential to last for a lifetime. See if dental implants are the right choice for you today!
About Dr. Tad Morgan
Dr. Tad Morgan strives to provide his patients with the most advanced dental care. In addition to general dentistry, he offers many areas of specialized services, including dental implants. After performing an initial consultation, he will create the treatment plan you need to replace your missing teeth. With an individualized approach, he will help to ensure that your new smile lasts for a lifetime. Contact our office today to see if you are a candidate for dental implants.